Saturday, May 2, 2009

There's no word for yes in dholuo, there's no word for no

There are just tones.

Also, the word for ndengu, greengrams or lentils, is olayo. The word for he or she is urinating is olayo. The tone is what differentiates the meaning. I'll never know it, but I'll always make people laugh.

I left Ukwala, went to do my exams in Nairobi, wrote three of the worst papers ever, and then came back to Ukwala. I was there for two days, two two two days, and then I left with some friends for Uganda. Which is where I am now, in an internet cafe, after eating Indian food and tasting spices for the first time in weeks. We're in Jinja, and this is the beginning of the great adventure south. Next is Rwanda, then Tanzania, Malawi, then some countries starting with Z's, one starting with an N, and SA, and then Nairobi, then home.

One thing, people, friends. How can you expect me to want to come home if you don't send me letters or emails or messages or anything? I understand that I've not been good at communicating, but really. When I go for three weeks without checking my emails and have nothing but admin stuff from the Philosophy department? It makes me feel like there's nothing left for me. I guess I'm just confused and sad. Who knew leaving Kenya would feel like this?

5 comments:

  1. hey gilli, when you coming back over here? here's something for your ipod: http://rapidshare.com/files/155379192/LPC1.rar.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gilly, did you get your stuff fixed? Can't wait to see you and your pix. Take lots now for us. Want to meet Mama Lucy.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent you emails, no? No response!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta second the 'minski here, pork chop. I've sent you at least two epistles, which have gone unanswered. I know the internet sucks but what do you want?

    I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU, even though it'll only be for a few days. Ben and Dave are sick of hearing how much I miss you. I will write you another email soon.

    -Baz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gillian, someone other than you answered your phone today. 5/13/09 Was it stolen? Please contact us as soon as you can to let us know how you are. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete